The firm of Egan Jewellers and Silversmiths had a long and distinguished history in Cork. Founded in the 1820s on the Grand Parade, the firm moved to Saint Patrick's Street in 1876, where it was to remain for 110 years. The original shop on Saint Patrick's Street was destroyed during the burning of Cork in 1920 but reopened for business in an elegant new shop on the same site in 1925.
During the Civil War in 1922, communications between Dublin and Cork were disrupted and, for a short time, Egan Jewellers produced silver which was assayed by the firm itself. This 'Republican silver' is now extremely valuable. Some examples of this silver may be seen in Cork Public Museum.
As well as producing silver, the firm made altar cloths for churches in Ireland and the U.S.A. and also the touch flags which were used in inter-provincial rugby matches.
The firm closed on 11 October 1986. The premises are now occupied by Vero Moda, a ladies' fashion wear shop, and by Jack & Jones, which specialises in men's fashion wear.