The above image shows what survives of the entrance to the site of the former St Mary's Church near the lower end of Shandon Street. An earlier church on this site, destroyed during the Siege of Cork in 1690, was replaced in 1693 by another church — 'a neat parish church, with two windows in the east end, good pews, galleries' — later demolished in 1879. Click on map detail on the left to view site of St Mary's Church (from Guy's map of Cork city, 1893). The surviving gateway piers lead to the former church grounds, now a car park for a nearby apartment block. The grounds are next to the former Coppinger’s Place and St Rita’s Place. The Coppingers were a prominent Catholic family in Cork.
Angela Bolster, The story of the Cathedral of St Mary and St Anne. City Printing Works, Cork, pp. 3-4
Peter Foynes, Walking Shandon: A guide to Cork's historic heart. Cork Butter Museum, 2007, p. 30
Evening Echo, 25 February 1974, p. 3