Today's Cattle Market Avenue, off the west side of Shandon Street, replaced the former Cattle Market Lane/Street — a route to a medieval cattle market. In the 1700s, Cork became such a major player in Ireland's beef trade that it was referred to as 'the slaughterhouse of Ireland'.
'Shandon', viewed from Cattle Market Street, painted by Lady Kate Dobbin, circa 1900
(Original painting in Crawford Art Gallery)
Peter Foynes, Walking Shandon: A guide to Cork's historic heart, Cork Butter Museum, 2007, p. 26