The area at the south-west junction of Blarney Street and Shandon Street was the site of an eighteenth-century shambles or meat market. It later became known as Broguemakers Hill. Cork City Council redeveloped the south-east corner of the hill between 1982 and 1985 with a stepped housing development, comprising five dwellings. The map detail on the right shows the shambles at Broguemakers Hill (Smith's map of Cork city, 1750). The area from this junction down to North Gate Bridge was known as Goulnaspurra (Gabhal na Spurra: the fork of the spur).
Broguemakers Hill in 1937
Peter Foynes, Walking Shandon: A guide to Cork's historic heart, Cork Butter Museum Ltd, 2007, p. 31
Evening Echo, 11 July 2001, p.23