Annie Moore (pictured left), who lived Rowland's Lane, just off John Redmond Street, Shandon, emigrated from Queenstown (Cobh) on 20 December 1891 with her two brothers, Anthony and Philip. On 1 January 1892, after disembarking from the SS Nevada, she became the first immigrant to be registered at the new Immigration Centre on Ellis Island, New York Bay. Ellis Island was the main centre for immigration into the US from 1892 until its closure in 1954. Up to 17 million immigrants passed through Ellis Island, where they were processed by US immigration authorities. The photograph below shows her house as it is today. A statue to Annie and her brothers was unveiled in Cobh on 9 February 1993 and a similar statue to her was unveled in Ellis Island on 18 May 1993. The sculptures in Cobh and Ellis Island are made of Bronze and were the work of Jeanne Rynhart from Bantry. In the period from 1890 to 1900 alone over 388,000 people emigrated from Ireland to the US.
Irish Examiner, 1 June 2010, p.6