Linehan’s sweet shop at 37a John Redmond Street, established in 1928, is the oldest and the only remaining sweet manufacturer in Cork city. It is located in a two-storey building that was built c. 18701. Run by the Linehan family since the 1920s, it was originally known as the Exchange Toffee Works. Today, sweets continue to be made on the same premises using the original machinery and with the same list of ingredients.
The upper floor of the premises housed The Loft theatre company, which flourished during the mid-twentieth century under the direction of Father Christy O'Flynn.
1National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, www.buildingsofireland.ie