Reverend John William Townsend Tuckey was rector of Saint Anne’s Chapel-of-ease in the Parish of Saint Mary Shandon in 1950-53. During his time as rector in that church, the bells of Shandon were silenced, in September 1951, as the metal supporting their weight was rusting and in danger of dropping the bells. In 1952 Rev. Tuckey produced his Two hundred years of Shandon Bells booklet to accompany his appeal for donations towards a fund of £1,000 needed to repair the support mechanisms of the well-known bells. While the title page has 'Shandon Bells', 'Bells of Shandon' is used on the cover. After Rev. George A. Salter became rector in Shandon in 1955, he produced a new edition of Rev. Tuckey’s booklet, but without acknowledging Tuckey's authorship.
Select the image below to open the booklet in PDF format (3Mb). Pages are text-searchable.