At the corner of Oliver Plunkett Street and Winthrop Street is Minihan’s Chemist, one of the Olliver Plunkett Street's independent, local traders. Minihan’s was established in 1955 by Liam Minihan. Today the business is operated by his nephew John Minihan and his wife Trish who took over the business in 1995.
Minihans has survived vast changes in the retail environment and a number of recessions since opening. Below is an advertisement from the shop's early days of trading in December 1955. More recently, in 2002, the interior of the shop was renovated with a new modern design. Minihan’s however retains its distinctive shop front at 108 Oliver Plunkett Street.
Minihan’s functions as a traditional chemist and dispense medicines on all prescription schemes in Ireland. The shop also specialises in cosmetics and is renowned for its perfumery, skincare and haircare ranges. As well as the customer service one gets in a local business such as Minihan’s, the shop also stocks well known labels such as Vichy, Neux, Ralph Lauren, Dior, Armani and Chanel. Since its very early days Minihan’s has also stocked skincare products and perfumes from the French brand Guerlain, one of the oldest French perfumes houses in the world.
Minihans' stock a range of global brands but the shop is central to the retail life of Cork city. In an era with the appearance of many new multinational pharmacy chains, Minihan's Chemist stands out as an independent, family run business, with a legacy of meeting the needs of the people of Cork for well over half a century.