Between 1705 and 1710, Cork merchants built the Exchange for the conduct of business. Twiss Jones was the architect. It was one of the finest buildings in the city. It stood on the site of an old castle handed over to Cork Corporation by Thomas Tuckey in 1702. Tuckey is commemorated by the name of the present-day Tuckey Street.
The Commercial Buildings on the South Mall replaced the Exchange as a financial centre in 1813. The Imperial Hotel now incorporates the Commerical Buildings. The Exchange was demolished in 1837. Some of the stones from the Exchange were used in the construction of Saint Peter's Church, which now houses the Cork Vision Centre. The approximate site of the old Exchange is now occupied by the CCYMS Hall.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Exchange building, Castle Street(252KB)