Douglas Street : Old Mill

Douglas Street : Old Mill

The old four-storey mill at the eastern end of Douglas Street was converted into an apartment complex with ten apartments in 1994. The building is listed as a protected structure by Cork City Council and retains its stone exterior and slate roof. A plaque on the wall reads 'Langford's Mill 1847'.

Some years before it was converted to an apartment complex the building housed a mechanical firm which specialised in overhauling engines. The firm was owned by Michael Murphy.

Douglas Street / Sráid na Dúghlaise

Douglas Street : Old street name plaque

Douglas Street: Street Name Plaque

The old limestone street-name plaque with the name 'Cove Lane' engraved on it at the corner of Douglas Street and Dunbar Street reminds us that Douglas Street had different names throughout its long history.

In Smith's map of 1750 present day Abbey Street and Douglas Street are shown as one street called Red Abbey Lane. Beauford's map of 1801 shows Abbey Lane extending from its junction with Evergreen Street (then called Maypole Lane) to the south-western end of Dunbar Street and Cove Lane extending from the south-eastern end of Dunbar Street to High Street. The plaque dates from around this time. Holt's map of 1832 shows the streets as they are today. Abbey Street extends from Evergreen Street to Mary Street and Douglas Street extends from Mary Street to its junction with High Street.

The Abbey Street/Douglas Street area is one of the longest-settled parts of Cork outside the walls of the old city. During the medieval period the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem and the Benedictine priory of St John the Evangelist both had foundations in the Douglas Street area. Some of the headstones from the graveyard of the priory of St John the Evangelist may still be seen in St John's Park near Douglas Street.

Abbey Street / Sráid na Mainistreach

Douglas Street / Sráid na Dúghlaise

Saint John's Park / Páirc Naomh Eoin

Cove Street / Sráid an Chamais

BrowseAloud
Cork City Libraries, Grand Parade, Cork, Ireland.
Contact us: Tel. +353 21 4924900 | Fax. + 353 21 4275684 | Email: libraries@corkcity.ie