Another view of the Georgian houses on Dean Street. Laing's Cork Mercantile Directory for 1863 lists George Phair, builder, at number three Dean Street. Phair bore the same name as Colonel Robert Phair (Phayre) who was the Cromwellian governor of Cork in 1651.
A photograph of the junction of Fort Street, Vicar Street and Dean Street taken from near the top of Bennett's Hill showing some fine Georgian houses. The house to the left of centre was later demolished and the site is now occupied by council flats. Archaeologists and historians agree that this part of Cork city was part of the ancient Celtic monastery of Cork founded in the seventh century. Tradition ascribes the foundation of the monastery to Saint Finbarr.
Dean Street / Sráid an Déin
Download these images in PDF format from the links below:Dean Street (1)(516KB)