A photograph of the former Cork Butter Market at a time when it housed O'Gorman's hat factory. The firm of T. O'Gorman occupied the building from 1940 until it was destroyed by fire in 1976. Listed in directories as the Cork Cap Factory, it manufactured the famous 'Shandon' caps. Cork Corporation restored the damaged building and it is now a cultural centre known as the Firkin Crane Centre. In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century Cork Butter Market was one of the most famous butter markets in the world.
Cork Butter Market / Margadh an Ime
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Cork Butter Market (154KB)