The magnificent church of St Vincent's was designed by Sir John Benson. Its style is early Gothic and it is built mainly of red sandstone. It has a spectacular appearance when viewed from the Mardyke as it is built on a rocky outcrop of Sunday's Well. The site on which it is built was donated by Miss Mary MacSwiney who was a resident of the area. Fund-raising for the project was organised by the Very Reverend Michael O'Sullivan, Vicar General of Cork. The foundation stone of the church was laid on 24 October 1851 by the Bishop of Cork William Delaney. After much of the stonework had been completed and the church was partially roofed, disaster struck on 4 November 1853 when a severe storm destroyed the roof and blew down much of the stonework. The event evoked widespread sympathy and donations for rebuilding the church were made from many Irish dioceses and private individuals. On 20 July 1856 the solemn dedication of the completed church took place. St Vincent's Church was consecrated on 14 October 1906. The interior of the church had been greatly embellished in the fifty years since its dedication. St Vincent's became the parish church of Sunday's Well parish on 2 February 1972. The adjoining Missionary House was sold to University College Cork in 2000.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:St Vincent's Church PDF(264KB)