Like most of the quays in Cork, St Patrick's Quay was constructed during the nineteenth century. The quays along the North Channel are generally founded on massed concrete. The quay walls are built from rubble masonry and faced with limestone behind timber pilings. James Beale, a Quaker merchant and owner of the famous Monard spade mills, had a retail premises on the quay in 1824. Between 1894 and 1896, over 365 metres (1,200 feet) of timber wharfage was added to St Patrick's Quay and Penrose Quay. At the time the photograph was taken in 1939, the premises on the quay included garages, public houses, offices of shipping agents, coal merchants' stores and the coal stores of the Metropole Hotel.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:St Patrick's Quay PDF(235KB)