St Fin Barre's Cathedral stands on or near the site of the monastery founded sometime between the sixth and seventh centuries. Tradition attributes the foundation of the monastery to St Fin Barre. A succession of churches has stood on the site of the present cathedral since the middle ages. The only traces of the mediaeval cathedral surviving are a doorway in the boundary wall of the present cathedral, a piscina or stone basin built into a wall in the grounds of the cathedral and some carved stone heads in the chapter house. The building shown in the photograph was built in 1735. It retained the tower and spire of the old cathedral which had been damaged during the siege of Cork in 1690. The building was not highly regarded architecturally and was demolished in the 1860s to make way for the present cathedral.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Tower and steeple of the old St Fin Barre's Cathedral PDF(177KB)