In 1733 the Huguenots in Cork acquired property near their existing church on French Church Street and began to use the newly-acquired property as a graveyard. The graveyard, which lies between French Church Street and Carey's Lane is still in existence. Proposals to build a residential and commercial development over the graveyard were refused permission in 1990 and again in 2001. The proposals provoked protests from many people in Cork city and from Huguenots and academics in the USA and the UK. In 2003 the Irish Huguenot Society proposed that the graveyard should be restored and used as a green area for visitors to the centre of Cork city. So far this proposal has not been implemented.
The tombstones visible in the photograph are set horizontally into the ground. This calls to mind some lines from a poem entitled 'Quakers' by the late Sean Dunne
Outside, their acre of graves
Shows names and dates like the flat
Covers of shut files.
(from Against the storm. Mountrath: Dolmen Press, 1985)
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Huguenot Graveyard PDF(355KB)