Elizabeth Fort

 

Elizabeth Fort

Sir George Carew, then president of Munster, began the construction of a fortification on the site of Elizabeth Fort in 1601. This fortification was demolished in 1603 during a dispute between the citizens of Cork and Sir Charles Wilmot, the commissioner of the president of Munster. However, the citizens were persuaded to rebuild the fortification soon afterwards. This structure was replaced in 1624 by a stronger fort which had the same basic outline as the surviving fort. Cromwell is reputed to have made improvements to Elizabeth Fort in 1649. A barracks was built near the fort in 1698 and in 1719 a barracks was constructed within the fort itself. Elizabeth Fort is an example of a star-shaped fort. It has the shape of an irregular four-sided figure. The fort now houses a Gárda Siochána barracks.

Download this image in PDF format from the link below:

Elizabeth Fort PDF(213KB)

BrowseAloud
Cork City Libraries, Grand Parade, Cork, Ireland.
Contact us: Tel. +353 21 4924900 | Fax. + 353 21 4275684 | Email: libraries@corkcity.ie