The Custom House was built in 1818 and was designed by the architect Abraham Hargrave. In 1882 it became the headquarters of the Cork Harbour Commissioners, now known as the Port of Cork Company. Its elegant boardroom, where the meetings of the members of the company are held, was constructed in 1906. The old Custom House in Emmet Place is now part of the complex of buildings which houses the Crawford Municipal Art Gallery.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Custom House PDF(233KB)
1861 photograph showing men with chimney-pot hats at the rear of the Custom House.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Custom House in 1861(192KB)