Clarke's Bridge which connects Wandesford's Quay with Hanover Street was built in 1776. Samuel Hobbs was the architect of the bridge. It is a single-span, segmental-arch bridge and is one of the oldest bridges in the city. When originally built the bridge connected Wandesford's Quay and Clarke's Marsh with the city, hence the name Clarke's Bridge. Its construction helped to relieve some of congestion on the South Gate Bridge by traffic approaching from the south of Cork city. The bridge is composed primarily of local red sandstone. The industrial archaeologist Colin Rynne thinks its design may be based on that of the Pontypridd Bridge in Wales over the River Taft.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Clarke's Bridge PDF(186KB)