The foundation stone of Cork city Hall was laid by Eamon de Valera on the 9 July 1932. The present building replaces the former City Hall which was destroyed during the burning of Cork in 1920. Some departments of Cork Corporation opened in the new building in March 1935, and, on the 24 April 1935, Cork Corporation held a meeting in the new hall for the first time. The City Hall was officially opened by Eamon de Valera on the 8 September 1936. The building was designed by the firm of Jones and Kelly in Dublin.
The building is faced with dressed limestone quarried in Little Island and incorporates an elegant concert hall. A major extension to City Hall was opened in 2007.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:City Hall, Cork PDF(326KB)