This 1837 map, based on surveys by civil engineer Charles Vignoles (1793-1875), was for a proposed railway line from Cork city to the harbour town of Passage West. Although sanctioned by Parliamentary Bill, Vignoles’s line was never constructed as any plans for that particular route were abandoned in the following year, 1838. The Cork, Blackrock and Passage Railway eventually opened for passenger traffic in June 1850, based on an 1846 plan presented by Sir John Benjamin Macneill (1793-1880).
The service subsequently extended to Monkstown (1902), Carrigaline (1903), and Crosshaven (1904) before the entire line ceased operations in 1932.
This map is also available in PDF format: