Details from Thomas Pembrock’s book provide glimpses of how Cork city was evolving in the eighteenth century. (More here on eighteenth century Cork)
In medieval times, Cork was centred on the Main Street that ran through the centre of the walled city. Pembrock gave details of property on North Main Street, where he had a house (pages 180-184). He also had stables in nearby Coleman’s Lane (page 74).
However, Pembrock also had other property, including a house and bowling green (pages 96, 131-133, 188-193, 270) in Dunscombe’s Marsh (between the present-day Grand Parade and South Mall).
He owned fields at South Spittle Land (now South Douglas Road, page 104) and had property in Herefordshire, England (pages 113-114).
As the city expanded into the river estuary, lands were drained and the river was confined to routes that ultimately shaped the street pattern of Cork. See 18th century maps here 1726-1801
The corporation attempted to ensure public access to the newly laid-out quays and streets, leading to disputes with landowners at times. Pembrock carefully recorded the dimensions and boundaries of his properties, see for example pages 77, 132, 179.
||Thomas Pembrock||18th Century Cork||Mayoral Booke||Main Themes|