The Cork Examiner of 15 January 1875 describes the interior of Saint Luke's Church as follows: 'What strikes one chiefly about the interior is its lightness, loftiness and spaciousness. The length of the nave is 114 feet and the width across the transept 82 feet. Nave and transept being both of great width, the semicircular arches which span their intersection are of extraordinary size and beauty. They spring from neat shafts resting upon curved corbels projected from the faces of four lofty piers. The groined ceiling at the intersection is of timber, painted blue and spangled with stars. The chancel is at the southern end of the nave, and its special features are its five rich stained glass windows in the apse, the subjects in three of which are - the Good Shepherd, the Prodigal Son and the parable of the lost groat. These windows are the gift of Mr Wm. Goulding. On the east side of the choir, in the angle of the transept, is the organ chamber, where has been erected a costly and beautiful organ, built by Foster and Andrews of Hull. The aisles are short and narrow, in proportion to the nave and transepts, from the former of which each is separated by three lofty arches, supported upon handsome pillars of Cork red marble, polished. The capitals of the columns, corbels and shafts throughout the interior are of Bath stone, very beautifully carved by Mr MacLeod of this city. Perhaps the chief merit of its construction is the fact that from any point within the Church almost the whole interior can be seen.'