The old Anglesea Bridge, built in the 1830s, could not cope with the volume of traffic using the bridge by the 1870s. Cork Corporation decided to replace the old bridge in 1875. It chose a swing bridge designed by T. Claxton Fiddler in 1877. The building of the new bridge was dogged by delays due to contractual and legal disputes. It was finally opened in 18 November 1882 and named Parnell Bridge.
The swing bridge, which allowed schooners and small crafts access to the south channel of the Lee, was replaced by present-day Parnell Bridge on 24 May 1971.
Corresponding article from the Irish Builder