By the late 1980s it was evident that a larger building was needed for the Everyman Theatre. The Everyman Playhouse on Father Mathew Street closed in December 1987 and a new larger home was sought to house the Everyman Theatre. The Everyman Theatre Company purchased the former Palace Cinema building on MacCurtain Street as its new theatre. This 650-seat Victorian building originally opened in 1897 as the oldest purpose-built theatre in Cork, which also showed short films before becoming a full-time cinema from 1930 until June 1988. The building was in a state of disrepair when Everyman purchased it. In January 1988 Everyman Palace Ltd was established and fundraising was started to renovate the Palace Theatre, (Cork Examiner, Weekend suppliment, 3 December 1988, p.8 ).
Another end of an era took place in 1988 with the closure of the Theatre of the South (Evening Echo, 24 March 1988, p.1). The Theatre of the South was founded as the Southern Theatre Group in 1959 . It was formed in Cork by James N. Healy, Dan Donovan, and Frank Sanquest. The company's productions included, among others, premieres of many of John B. Keane's plays. After the departure of Frank Sanquest in 1969, Michael Twomey was invited to join with James N. Healy and Dan Donovan to form a new company, Theatre of the South. Theatre of the South continued in production until its closure in 1988 due to a downturn in revenue resulting from the economic climate, coinciding with a drop in attendance across the theatres of Cork in the late 1980s.
Select links below for further information.
|15 August||Summer Revels '88||Cork Opera House|
|27 September||A Crucial Week in the life of a Grocers Assistant||Cork Opera House|
|19 November||The Mikado||Cork School of Music Theatre|
|26 December||Little Red Riding Hood||Cork Opera House|